Are you a parent, sibling, partner, spouse, or daughter or son of someone with a mental illness? Use your valuable lived experience to support another family member.
A Family Match Mentor provides one-to-one support over the phone for 3 months. You are paired with someone in the same relationship, loving someone with similar symptoms or diagnoses.
Through your good instincts and training in active listening, you’ll help other family members:
- Gain mental health support and feel less alone
- Understand resources at NAMI-NYC and beyond
- Maintain smooth, realistic relationships with their loved one
- Prioritize their self-care
You know the demands of loving someone struggling with mental health challenges, and you know the power of support.
You can provide validation and connection in the most meaningful way – because you’ve been there.
NOTE: We are currently looking for:
- Partner/spouse mentors
- Parent mentors
- Any family relationship for those bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Sibling mentors experienced with personality disorders. “DSM-5 lists ten specific personality disorders: paranoid, schizoid, schizotypal, antisocial, borderline, histrionic, narcissistic, avoidant, dependent and obsessive–compulsive personality disorder.”